Hometown: Red Spot, Mars (Durango, CO)
Major: Recording Arts
Member Since: 2011
- Who are some of your favorite artists? Otis Redding, Ella Fitzgerald,, Bill Evans, David Bowie, The Mars Volta, Elliott Smith, Saul Williams, Ezra Furman & the Harpoons, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Neutral Milk Hotel, Led Zeppelin.
- What made you develop a passion for singing? I remember my dad taking me into a record store when I was really little. We walked out with Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, and Nina Simone. Nothing else made sense after that.
- Favorite cartoon? Rocko’s Modern Life.
- Guilty pleasure(s)? Boyz II Men and eavesdropping. But not eavesdropping on Boyz II Men.
- What do you want to see happen to the future of a cappella? I’d like to see a cappella start to understand its own sense of eccentricity, alongside the limitations, to help develop a level playing field with other genres. A comeback of using the voice as its own instrument instead of a standard that says the voice must imitate other instruments. There must be a compromise between the two, don’t you think? I think generations after us will have the same difficult responsibility in finding that balance.